Re: Hi Jacked Thread - Solid vs Stranded and Other Prewire issues

One "feature" I like about solid is when/if it breaks...it breaks..gone,
switch to the spare pair, with stranded you may have 18 of 19 strands
broken...leaving one lonely strand holding the circuit.

Besides, I hate working with stranded...takes longer to do makeups.

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| "Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| >
| > "Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| > > or stranded. I see more problems with solid down the road, than with
| > > stranded, but that is open to opinions. Nothing says you have to use
one
| > > over the other.
| >
| > There are advantages and disadvanatages.  I can't say I have seen any
| > problems with solid over stranded once an installation is complete.
|
| We used to use solid, as a standard, many years ago, when working for a
| national company. I switched, when on one particular type of system, that
we
| were installing, required us to keep going into different areas of the
| system and adding more buildings over the years. Eventually, we started
| getting opens on the circuits. It seemed the problem was always at the
| splice point. Not the new one, but the existing ones in the same area.
| Granted, it wasn't the best application, but it was, as is in most of
todays
| applications, two wires spliced together with beans, beanies, crimps or
what
| ever other term people use. The crimps have very sharp little teeth inside
| to penetrate the outer jacket of the wire. I think that it might be
| possible, that with that style crimp, those teeth just may be scoring,
| notching, or damaging the solid copper core, leaving it weaker than
normal.
| When people are back into the splice, where there is always that
possibility
| of bending or repeated movement of the wire, the copper could break within
| the jacket at the splice. Maybe we were using the wrong crimps, or maybe
we
| should have been using blocks but in any case, the average installer is
| going to use the most popular method and that is crimps. The problem went
| away with stranded wire.
|
| > There
| > are a couple things that enter in for a prewire during construction.
Any