Re: Coax as data cable

"Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:459367e7$0$8996$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1ni6p25ighuv1l9igo341hoduk064kvd0k@xxxxxxxxxx
>> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:40:50 -0500, "Robert L Bass" <sales @ comcast +
>> net> wrote:
>>

>> 1.
>>>Numerous professional installations still emoploy screw-on BNC connectors
>>>for CCTV.  They work fine for composite video only but they're not good
>>>enough for hi-def and some up-the-coax data applications.
>>

> I my opinion if you can't make a
> decent 2 or 3 piece crimp on BNC
> connection ...

I didn't say it was the best solution.  I only stated (correctly) that many professional installers do use them.

> I believe you'd run out of video
> signal on RG-59 or RG-6 run
> long before you'd run out of
> control signal on a 485 data run.

It's proably not an issue unless the place is huge.  If it is that large, a pair of Muxlab baluns might save you a lot of work and
save your customer some money.

> If the turd doing the original
> installation...

Oh, this is in Waco?  I didn't reallize... :^)

> had not used coax at all, and just
> the correct data cable instead, I
> could have used twisted sender
> and 485...

You've still got lots of options.  See my earlier response to Cracker's idiocy.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics