Re: Coax as data cable

"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1ni6p25ighuv1l9igo341hoduk064kvd0k@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:40:50 -0500, "Robert L Bass" <sales @ comcast +
> net> wrote:
>

> 1.
>>Numerous professional installations still emoploy screw-on BNC connectors
>>for CCTV.  They work fine for composite video only but they're not good
>>enough for hi-def and some up-the-coax data applications.
>
> 2.
>>As mentioned above, up-the-coax PTZ control data is an option.
>
> 3.
>>If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first
>>consider sending the PTZ via that extra coax.  It works well when properly
>>set up and it can be a time saver for you.
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

No need to cry, Cracker.

> Wow...  You never have even *SEEN*
> a CCTV system apparently.

Oh, really?  Heh, heh, heh.  Read on, grass-toker.

  Screw-on
> BNC's huh?  LOL....

You're a relative newcomer, Cracker.  Screw-on BNC connectors have been around for many years.  While not ideal they are in use and
they are viable for *average* quality CCTV.

> The only viable data over coax I've seen
> is Pelco's 'Coaxatron' <sp>

You're thinking of their "Coaxitron" system but it's far from the only one around.  You lack experience and knowledge not only of
the name of the product but of the popularity of the medium among professional installers.

That's because you've seen so little CCTV.  Bosch makes a well-known (well, among CCTV ionstallers it's well known; you say you
never saw it though) coax PTZ transmission system.

Baluns are also commonly used to convert a data signal for transmission over coax.

Axis is another company whose PTZ cameras can be controlled over coax.  In fact, the same coax can be used for simultaneous PTZ and
video transmission.

Muxlab is yet another well known maker of baluns for PTZ+video over coax.

I sell most of these brands online so, unlike the pugnacious idiot who posted above, I actually know about them.

> protocol which requires Pelco products on each end.   I suppose one
> could also use third party modems on each side

No, moron.  You woulkd not use modems.  You (well, not you actually but a professional installer or a DIYer) could use balums.

> to transmit rs485 data, but that would
> be cost prohibitive compared to just
> running a Cat5 with the coax...

In your zeal to squeal you seem not to have even finished reading my post before demonstrating your lack of knowledge.  As I said in
my initial reply, "If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first consider sending the PTZ via that extra
coax.  It works well when properly set up and it can be a time saver for you."  The meaning should be clear to anyone capable of
thought (you might want to hire someone to help you out here) that it may be more economical to use a PTZ up-the-coax solution than
to run new cable.  The type of cable isn't so much the issue since coax and CAT5 are of similar cost.  It's an application specific
question which the OP will need to assess for himself.

> -- even then only one cable is needed for data and
> video, so I don't know what the heck that second coax is for.

Some folks run 2 cables when they only need one in case they need another for a second camera later.  Since the cable itself is
usually much less expensive than the labor to pull a new one later, that can be a good thing.

> I hope the 2 hour phone course CCTV 101
> is not offered in your distance learning catalog.

It wouldn't matter anyway.  You've never been sober long enough to finish the class.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics