Re: autodialer with no land line

Jim wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to set up an autodialer on my home security
> > system without having "land line" phone service.  Two possibilities
> > come to mind:
> >
> > 1) a device that connects the autodialer to my cell phone so that the
> > autodialer can call out through the cell phone network.  Down side:
> > requires an additional (compatible) cell phone and an additional line
> > on my cell phone account ($$).  I've looked briefly at the Dock N Talk
> > and a couple of similar devices.  All those options seem to be too
> > expensive for my taste (several hundred dollars for cell phone + dock
> > device + a year of additional line + autodialer).
> >
> > 2) Some sort of interface to Skype enabling the call to go out through
> > my cable internet service.
> >
> > There may be a third possibility.  My alarm system can close (or open)
> > a relay when announcing an alarm.  There may be a way to use this
> > rather than an autodialer to communicate through a computer (triggering
> > a SMS message via the internet for example).  Of course a magic box and
> > some software would be necessary...
> >
> > Has someone found a product to do something like this?  Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Some night you could run a line over to  your neighbors house, (who's
> not as cheap as you and has a telephone)  and tap into his line. If you
> bury the wire, he'd never even know you did it.
>
> Ghawd, ya only spend $200 bucks on an alarm system to protect your home
> and your family, the most valuable things in your life, and ya can't
> squeeze out a couple of bucks a month to have it monitorted correctly?
> Jeeeeeeze, get a friken phone line and have it monitored by a 24hour
> central station. What's it worth to you to have your house burn down or
> your family terroized because your alarm system left a message on your
> voice mail an hour ago.
>
> I don't get it.  I really don't get it!  Am I missing something ......
> or what? <

No you're not missing anything. The guy has no problem spending money
for internet, the computer he uses to access it, and the cell phone he
wants to use to send signals, but he can't see the value of a land line
for the alarm. He can't even see the value of having an emergency
situation handled by anyone other than him and his trusty voicemail.
People like this are selfish egomaniacs. They know better than to use a
monitored system. They know they can do it better than the pros. This
is a prime example of why I am glad the DIY websites are still around.
It spares us from having to field their calls.
Their excuse is always poverty but they never think of cutting down the
cable package or maybe saying adios to the internet and reallocating
those funds to securing their loved ones.