Re: Rough pricing question

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:42:31 +0000, Roland Moore wrote:

> It sounds like you have (or had) magnetic locks. From what you describe it
> would be better to have your maintenance guys install a delayed egress rim
> alarmed panic exit device.

The problem there is that both doors are double doors, and have to be;
large stuff goes in and out from time to time, so both sides have to be
easily opened.  (i.e. we can't lock one leaf for a rim lock to catch on)

Currently, one set has a big green "push to exit" button on the frame, and
the other has touch-sensitive crash bars for exit; that's the one we want
to be swipe-in/swipe-out.  Both are magnetic locks, and the latter set is
metal-framed 2-pane glass doors.

> A red button won't come close to doing the job
> right.

Well, we can use a green button just like the other set.  :)

What we need, though, is something easy to use, but hard to accidentally
set off.  (My desk, the HR department, and a couple of executive offices
are within 30ft of that door, so frequent false alarms would *not* be a
good thing.)

> It sounds like you have answered your own question. Was it "cheaper" to have
> to rip the gear out you have and start over?

If it was just done wrong, it apparently would have been cheaper.  From
what we can tell, it was done barely right and as cheaply as possible,
while charging for (and promising) the perfect, easily expandable system.

> Mounts & Mounting Brackets
> http://www.boschsecurity.us/index.aspx?prdctgroupid=73 look at them.
> Understand how the right mount can improve what you're able to see.

Looks like their parapet mount is pretty similar to what we're using on
most of the cameras.  The greater issue there is that they were put in at
bad angles; our executive lot is hidden behind the pole of the one camera
that would be able to see it, and another is mounted about eight inches
too low to see a prime potential trouble spot.

> It would be helpful to know what you want features wise, and what
> features you want to actually purchase for before shouting HOW MUCH?

Yes, it would.  Part of my problem is that when they got this system, they
were taking the sales rep's word for it on what they needed, and we either
don't use or can't use a good percentage of the features it has, and can't
find any evidence that it has some of the features promised.

Thanks for the links; I'll print some of those spec sheets and go over
them this week.