Re: ADT may come knocking...

Okay, I'm getting that I shouldn't try to negotiate a month to month.
I considered that only because the employees are familiar with the
system and I'd rather deal with a few more weeks of false alarms than
install the panel and keypad I have, teach them that, and then do it
all again when I have a new system installed.  I'm assuming it will
take a few weeks to get a reputable company out to do an install, but
I'll find out on Monday.  Maybe not so bad.

I suppose I can just leave the ADT system in for a couple of weeks and
hope the previous owner doesn't call to settle her lease with them in
the meantime.  That is actually likely as she isn't really organized
and may not realize she is still obligated to ADT.  The downside is
that she still has control of the system and we can't change that with
ADT.

I think I'll just have my equipment ready to go in the event there is a
problem with ADT before I get someone else in there for an install.
Maybe I should also disconnect the phone line so there are no further
false alarms that might imply we continued service with them past the
change of ownership.

Does anyone disagree with just setting the ADT equipment aside in case
they want it, but not contacting them regarding the change?  It sounds
like they regularly abandon equipment after a lease ends, but that's
obviously not the case here.  I really want to avoid any appearance
that we have an existing relationship with ADT, because we do not.

The other option seems to be to call them and explain that the business
operating at that location is not in any way associated with the
previous company or owner, that we have disconnected their equipment
and that they may retrieve it by appointment.  Better plan?

How does it work when someone sells a house before their ADT lease
expires and the new owners don't want to continue service?

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Chad Speer
Kansas City, MO