Re: your feedback on DIY security alarm system

Jim wrote:

> Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:
> >
> > My favorite is a simply acquiring a coupla signs with the name of a
> > security co. that's active in your area (from eBay or locally), along
> > with good locks and smart security practices.
>
> Sure.
>
> You must be related to the guy in this area who thought the same thing.
> And when the 3 guys pushed their way in, with only his wife at home,
> afterwards wished he'd had something more substantial than a lawn sign
> and a good lock.  You know how it goes. If you have a lawn sign, you
> got to have an alarm installed in your house. If you have an alarm you
> must have something valuable to protect. Therefore,  it's much easier
> to force a woman, who's all alone, to show them where all the goodies
> are than it is to break in, setting off the alarm, and having to leave
> before the police get there.
>
> Oh yeah, did I mention one of the side benefits of a lawn sign? If you
> catch it early enough, you can probably beat out the fire with one of
> those signs too.
>
> You'll never know the trauma of experiencing a break-in or a fire,
> until it happens to you.
>
> But .... I know how it goes. Seein is belevein ...... huh?

I'm talking about a neighborhood (not a 'hood) where everyone else
actually HAS a security system - the guy with just the sign wins.

I once worked in a store that had a security co. alarm system, and the
ONLY theft EVER turned out to be the security monkeys " checking the
alarm".

And I said "smart security practices' too, which includes not letting
lowlifes who do your gardening, deliveries, roofing see what "goodies"
you have.

I doubt anyone ever broke into a house with a security sign and unknown
contents "on spec".