[no subject]

As a general rule, will I usually be able to use any 4-wire keypad
with any control panel that has a 4-wire keypad input?

If not most combinations, what about a Moose Z1100 keypad with a Moose
Z900 control panel.   The stuff I got includes new ones of these, at
least they are perfectly clean and still in the box, complete with
installation and operator's manuals.**

Although my burglar alarm friend said he could install it in an hour,
I didn't want him to come in to my incredibly messy home, so he gave
me the standard panel he uses, new in the box, for me to install,
because he knows I can do it if I take enough time, and maybe because
he plans to give me at least 5 dollars a month off on the monitoring,
maybe more, and figures it's ok if I do some of the work.

He generally uses the same panel for all his customers so he only has
to use one brand of software at his end to make changes, but I"m never
going to ask him to make changes***.  He and his family do favors for
me all the time, and I try to find things to do for them, but afaic,
they're still way ahead.  He's overloaded at work (remember my
question is, even though the best panel I have now is the Moose Z900,
and the panels he installs are from DSC since he's not going anything
online, will they cause him any MORE work?

Since I won't be using one of the panels he buys, will that save him
any money, or are they so cheap it doesn't matter?

If you offerred to put a burglar alarm in your friend's home, and were
going to charge him less than others for monitoring, would you be
annoyed if he didn't want to use your panel, because he found another
"in the trash"?   I get a kick, a lot of satisfaction, out of using
things I've found in the trash or at yard sales, etc.

Thanks a lot.

***I've had an alarm for years, but the combo keypad/control panel
burned out (smoke actually came from it when I was pushing the buttons
on the way out one day.)

**(My first friend runs a ministorage and these were left behind.  I
think the guy retired and then died, and his daughters cleaned out the
rented storage room.  They're supposed to remove everything, but I
guess they left it there for the last sibling to come and take what he
wanted, and since their father had rented the space for years, my
friend didn't mind that she had to pay to clean it out (after I took
what I wanted).  (Hmmm, I see that the older of the two is ADC.  It
looks almost identical, but the manual says it uses a proprietary
format in communicating with the central station.  But it's the older
one anyhow)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..