Re: Radionics system questions

inline...

"Logan" <mcoinvestmentnospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xns9825B6D33FFBmco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|I have some questions about some Radionics hardware that I have. I am
| planning to install a Radionics burglary/fire panel in my house. Some
| things I'd like to do with it are: security, fire, and later on, HID door
| access control for 2 doors. I'll need more than 8 zones, so I'd want to
| use the popex and popits for expansion. Right now, I have an 8112I panel,
| 3 D1252 pads, 2 D8125 popexs, 2x D8130 output relays, a D128 two line
| phone adapter, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff and some popits.
| I have been reading everything I can find about Radionics panels and I
| like their capabilities, especially compared to more "consumer"-oriented
| panels. Ok, some questions

Definitely a great product, long discontinued...and NOT easy to program
especially for diy'er and even for some alarm techs. I still have some
parts..keypads, expanders, some pulls, some NOS.

| 1) I understand that there are a number of different models of the 8112
| panel, but I am having a hard time finding what the different models are
| and what there capabilities are.

Yep there are, and you'd have to find the Technograms to figure out the
differences. I don't even remember them all.

| 2) I am not committed to keeping an existing 8112 panel. I am interested
| other panels that are compatible with the hardware I listed above. I
| found that the panels are cheap compared to all the hardware that you buy
| to use with them. I'd like to know what radionic panels are recommended.
|
| 3) Regarding programming, how hard is that to do, if you have a manual
| and a programmer, can you figure it out? I've had to program stuff before
| and usually a week of trial and error is sufficient. Is the same true for
| Radionics panels? Also, how hard is the 5100 to use compared to a 5200
| and compared to RAM software? Where do you get handlers for different
| panels if the programmer doesnt have them already? I'd like to note that
| I wouldn't rule out having someone program it for me, I'm not too proud,
| heh.

You'll never figure it out. The 5100 is a wand/barcode swiper type
programmer, the 5200 does a little more but has a keypad. You'd need an OLD
version of RAM and a computer still running DOS and an old expensive modem
that was proprietary. I don't think that RAM 1 ran on a regular modem with a
dongle.

The 8112 is old and way long retired. I have one left and a few keypads.

If you don't have the handlers you will not get them. AFAIK: They were not
computer files so they are not likely to be floating around on someones
puter, you had to download them WITH the programmer over the phone FROM
Radionics (now Bosch)...you'll never get them unless you buy a programmer
from someone who already has them loaded. My 5200 programmers are worth
their weight in gold now :-)

| 4) Regarding device supervision, namely keypads, what are the
| implications of that? I was considering installing a fire reporting
| keypad in an insecure area and didn't want it to be vulnerable to
| tampering. Does it monitor them for tampering and sound an alarm if they
| are tampered with?

They're supervised.

| 5) A little off in the weeds here, has anyone used the EAR emergency
| audio reporting connection on a radionics panel? I understand the CS can
| talk to the premises while a break-in is occurring, that sounds pretty
| cool.

Never used it, actully never hoid of it.

But you will be up to your ears in the weeds with an 8112 and popits and
octopits..believe me.

| I'd appreciate any help, I've been reading the manuals cover to cover and
| these are some questions I couldn't find answers to.

Read em if  you can find em - good luck, but I think you're wasting your
time.