Re: digital cable telephony

We don't have that problem here. The cable company's dial tone gets split
off the cable and comes into the home as a regular pots line would, so no
ups is required. If the cable tv sig goes down telco is normally still up.
We have hundreds of clients like this, in fact my folks are on Cox cable,
and we've never had a problem. Remote programming is as it would be on
normal pots line, no problems there either. My personal system in on the
Telco's version of cable (I get my TV signal and my house line and my VDSL
from telco) and no problems here either.

soooo...maybe it's different up thar in the frozen nw??

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Yes, that is exactly what I at least am referring to. The local cable
| company is making huge inroads into the telephone companies customer
| base by offering telephone service over the cable network (serves 'em
| right; their service is crap).. They bring dial tone from another type
| of modem directly to the existing inside wiring for the telephone
| system. So all the installer has to do is hook up normally for line
| exclusion and everything works well for outgoing....not so for incoming
| however. I think it has to do with how the panel "listens" for ring
| tones on the line....the cable company may not be doing it the same
| way)
|
| However, we still have a lot of the same issues to deal with as with
| VoIP. (I make the client sign a waver form as much to alert him to the
| downsides of this way of communicating as anything else). The only
| difference is cable is a lot more reliable than the internet.
|
| Crash Gordon wrote:
| > What?
| > Are you guys talking about telephone service with your cable tv service?
| >

| > <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Yes, it works fine. You can still wire it for proper line exclusion;
| > | however, I have not found a case yet where you can dial in to the
| > | panel. For some reason, panels don't see an incoming ring in the same
| > | way they do on a Bell line, and subsequently, won't answer the phone.
| > | Haven't tried asking the customer to force the panel to answer an
| > | incoming ring; that might still work..
| > |
| > | All the usual cautions about power failure, using a UPS etc apply
here,
| > | since in some ways, this is not too much different than VoIP (albeit
| > | somewhat more reliable it seems)
| > |
| > with an
NIck