Re: Installer/sales rep responsibilities

JW wrote:
> We're a small company.  Our installers and sales reps act as a team to
> complete
> projects they do together.  Sometimes they are able to spend time going over
> job before the final proposal (usually larger jobs); other times, the
> installer only
> sees the project after the sale.

This is typical of most companies.  If your sales staff come across a
job where a special application is required, they should be able to call
on an installer to assist them in finding a solution.

> The sales person designs the job and puts
> together
> a rough parts list and it's reviewed by the installer before ordering (by an
> in-house
>  technician).

That's way too many steps.  Most sales people are going out there to
sell *security*.  That means the parts list shouldn't be "rough".  It
has to be "specific".  They're the ones actually *designing* the system
to meet the customer's specific requirements.  You should have a
"catalogue" of approved parts (stuff your installers know how to install
and service) along with an idea of what it takes to install them (time
wise).

> For a variety of reasons, the original parts too often require
> a change.

Then your salesmen lack the skills to properly design a system, or you
haven't provided them with the necessary tools to effectively market
your products, or you're asking them to sell products beyond their
comprehension/knowledge level.

> Too often, this requires phone calls and research to find the right part and
> review the
> specs, codes, etc.

What "market" are you in?  You obviously haven't defined it from this
statement.

> Our installers also serve as limited project managers,
> co-ordinating
> schedules, sub-contractors, etc.

Your installers shouldn't be "managing" anything.  They should *know*
their jobs.  You should have office staff "co-ordinating schedules,
sub-contractors, etc."  Leave your installers to do what they do best...
  *install*.

> Who do you have finalize the parts list -
> the person
> who designs/sells or the technician who installs it?

Already answered this.

> Since site time is
> valuable, there's
> concern with the office/phone/computer time required to research/engineer
> the final
> parts list/design.  Any insights on how things are handled at different
> companies
> would be appreciated.

You clearly need to define everyone's job/function.  You need procedures
manuals, and a comprehensive and well researched parts schedule.  Your
sales people should be fully comfortable in dealing with their customer
base and they do have to focus on a specific market until they're at a
level where they can deal in others (through education or knowledge).

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com