Re: Doing research on locked up Alarm panel Phenomena

"Nick Markowitz" <nick-markowitz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello all
> I am conducting research on the Electrical Phenomena
> where alarm panels lock up and apear dead  with no visual display.  But ac
> power and dc are working to it.
> Have observed this several times now with  panels were  i power these
> panels
> down completly and repower and they come back up like nothing ever
> happened
> to them.
> Apears to be a problem in switching power supplies that has not been
> addressed by code making panels when certifying panels .
> Will be putting al this info together and sending to UL and manufactuers
> etc. for further investigation.
> to prevent this problem seems to happen mainly with thunder storms but not
> always have had happen on bright sunny days as well. it could be very
> disaterous where propertys are unattended and this condition is not known
> about till 24 hr test fails and a tech is sent to check it out.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure if this really applies to your situation, but I had a Firelite
panel that would lock up when sending its autotest signal usually between
teh two tests.  Turns out the panel is not fully CID compatible, and
Firelite blames it on the receivers.  Switching it to 4 X 2 fixed the
problem.  The part that irritate me was that Firelite new exactly what the
problem was, but gave me the run around.  Now I only install Silent Knight
fire panels.

Anyway, I suppose your problem might depend on the brand.  I had some FBII
panels that would lock up, but would reset and work properly when powered
down and back up too.  Those were the XL-31.  The thing is once a panel did
that it would do it aga
--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River