Re: Let's say I buy an ELK-M1 Gold panel - then what?

From:	Leo - view profile
Date:	Thurs, Aug 24 2006 8:43 pm
Email: 	Leo <leo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Groups: alt.security.alarms

> I am planning to buy an ELK-M1 Gold panel, to replace an old
> panel I have that is connected to the doors/windows/motion
> sensors etc.
>
> Then I would be programming the ELK-M1 to do some basic
> security and some automation functions.
>
> My question is: how would I go about establishing a monitoring
> service?  If I contact a local alarm company, will they say: we
> have not installed the panel, we don't know how it works, and
> we cannot provide monitoring service for you.

Hi Leo,

Plenty of DIYers who have the ELK-M1 system are being monitored by
professional alarm monitoring firms.  Although the majority of
monitoring firms won't deal directly with a DIYer (or any other end
user) many do monitor DIY systems under contract with local dealers.

The trick is to find a dealer who is willing to work with you.  Some
dealers are hard-headed and won't even talk to you.  Others will
monitor a system as long as they can lock you out of programming the
system (beware of these deales; you may have difficulty getting them to
relinquish control upon termination, even if you've paid in full).
Still others will work with you as long as they can check the system to
make sure there's nothing screwy in the setup.  Finally, there are
Internet dealers who offer monitoring service, typically through third
party central stations.  Prices vary widely so shop around.

One gentleman expressed concern over whether you could get and use the
ELK software to program the system.  Don't worry about that.  ELK will
provide it with the control panel if requested.  The software is free.

ELK Products is different from most alarm manufacturers in that they
actively support DIY end users.  While they prefer you obtain tech
support from your product vendor, they will talk to you directly if you
ask.  On occasion you can even speak to an ELK engineer.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Bass Burglar Alarms
www.BassBurglarAlarms.om