Re: wierd surge damage?

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Yep. Had a house once where lightning blew a 4' hole in the roof, took out
> almost all the electronics in the house. Wierder still is the alarm panel
> did not get fried but some switches were welded shut, some blown open. The
> surge followed the ufer in this house and jumped the the neighboring house's
> ufer about 6 feet away and blew out his breaker box and stopped there.

There's always a better story .....
Here's one:

You figure once the lightning hits the ground ..... that's it .....
right?

Lightning hits a tree by my clients house.Blows a couple of his cameras
and some breakers. Lightning hits the ground, goes through the ground
about 20 feet and into a neighbors barn. Comes up out of the ground,
kills a horse and shoots out the opposite side of the barn.

That happened 20 years ago and I'm still amazed everytime I think of
it.

Another clients house was actually hit by the lightning. Put a small
hole in the roof. However, the hit was so hard, that it actually
"twisted" the house. It was one of these contemporary houses with the
three story great room. The dry wall in the great room and a number of
other rooms had to be changed because of fissure like cracks in the
walls from ceiling corner to the opposite floor corner.  And the house
had to shored up and leveled by a house moving company. He wanted me to
give him an "evaluation" of what equipment had to be replaced .... for
his insurance company. I told him to replace it all, as there was no
way to know how long any device would last, once the system was powered
up. I told him to get a public adjuster in to represent him to his
insurance company too. Of all things, in spite of all the damage and
potential damage he could experience in the future, he said he didn't
want to "cheat" his insurance company. Noble but stupid ..... I guess.
I told him .... sorry but I couldn't guarantee anything would work for
any length of time. So the idiot got another alarm company who would.
Good riddance!