Re: IP cameras on ring topology, not star

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:13:15 -0400, Pat Coghlan <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I'm looking for information on equipment that can/should be used to
>install IP video cameras on poles around a perimeter (1-2 km, or more).
>
>Token-ring routers typically require all drops to be plugged into a
>panel (operates in token ring fashion, but physically is a star), which
>is not practical with 100 cameras running around a ring, feeding traffic
>back to recorders.
>
>The equipment needs to be economical (hub on each pole).
>
>Any suggestions or real-world examples out there?

I saw your reply to Matt and still don't know what you're looking for.
Are you trying to wire to 100+ cameras up in a daisy-chain fashion
rather than home-running each wire?

You DON"T want token-ring, that as an antiquated technology that
requires each network device to have an electronic "token" before it
can talk to the network.

If your application is spread over 1-2 KM than how about wireless?
There are good 102.11 based systems that can do what you need provided
you have line-of-sight (up to 10 miles).   You possibly could create a
hybrid system of wireless transmitters for the further out cams and
wired for the closer cams to the head-end.

Look at this data sheet for an example:
http://www.verint.com/misc/S1100WEB.PDF

Please provide more information on the application.

--

-G

Never underestimate the stupidity of a very large person in powerful groups.