Re: IP cameras on ring topology, not star

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:13:15 -0400, Pat Coghlan <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I'm looking for information on equipment that can/should be used to
>install IP video cameras on poles around a perimeter (1-2 km, or more).
>
>Token-ring routers typically require all drops to be plugged into a
>panel (operates in token ring fashion, but physically is a star), which
>is not practical with 100 cameras running around a ring, feeding traffic
>back to recorders.
>
>The equipment needs to be economical (hub on each pole).
>
>Any suggestions or real-world examples out there?
>
>Thanks.

Without a lot more application detail, it's hard to offer specific
advise.  You can use a network of switches where each switch adds a
camera to the network and then loops to the next pole thus forming a
ring.  This isn't a Token Ring network.

The applications we've done that sort of sound like what you've done
have used either wireless ethernet (SmartSight for the small systems
and Marconi for the larger ones) or we've pulled fiber and used analog
cameras.