Re: False alarms

Al Colombo wrote:
> I guess I'm one of those "old bastards," too :-). <

No guessing about it. You ARE an old bastard, but I have to be nice to
you so you leave me good stuff when you croak :-)
RHC wanted to respond in this thread but he's busy celebrating his 90th
birthday.

> My involvement in the field was from 1974 through 1990, then from 2001
> through Oct. of 2004.  You know the rest I suppose, but the false alarm
> issues really haven't changed much from my vantage point.  Most of them
> are caused by people who either don't care or who don't understand
> their system well enough. <

The first alarm system I remember seeing was a key operated foil system
installed at the hardware store I worked at. There was numerous false
alarms because the tape would get damaged whenever we moved something
in the window. With today's technology, and with customers being a tad
more savvy when it comes to operating electronics, you would think the
number of falses would decrease.
User error is something that will ALWAYS be there but my concern is
with what our industry is responsible for.
Cheap equipment, and shoddy installs add to the problem.
Nobody in this business will ever admit to a shoddy install.
Do you honestly think that a knucklehead who installs a single tech
motion aiming at a window, or aiming at a staircase will ever step up
and say "hey I was wrong doing that"?
There are more companies installing than ever and the quality of
equipment, and location of equipment has for the majority turned to
what works best for the installing company (price-wise, and time-wise),
rather than doing what's best for the end-user.
I've heard people in this business SCREAM at me for discussing this
because they subscribe to the belief they only do quality work.
I'm sorry, but a single tech PIR is a shitty piece of equipment, but
the suppliers can't keep enough in stock.
Who is buying them from the suppliers?
I use 18/4 fire-rated and I have to special order it. Why? Because it's
not popular.
Why isn't it popular? Because 22/4 is much cheaper.
Supply houses stock more shit equipment than quality and they don't do
it because it looks nicer on their shelves. They stock it because
people from our industry buy it.
Stepping up the level of quality, and properly locating equipment will
do wonders for false alarm reduction.
You'd have an easier time finding a turnip jellybean on most jobsites
than finding a zone expander. I can show you umpteen panels where zones
have been jumped, and equipment disconnected, so the system wouldn't
show trouble. That is NOT repairing a system.
How many falses caused by motions aiming at staircases & windows,
systems with 14 windows on one zone,  systems with 35yr old wiring, or
even wireless systems with transmitters attached to forward opening
exterior doors are the fault of the end user?
Let's stop debating how much is the customer's fault, because that part
won't change, and start looking at what is our fault. When, and only
when we correct what we are doing wrong can be honestly say that the
customer should be fined every single time.
Bottom line, are we (the industry) ever wrong?

> Alarm companies really should take more time to train their clients,
> but let's be honest, the smaller firms usually do a good job of
> training because their focus is on personal service, personal
> relationships.  The bigger firms give their tech crews a daily quota,
> which does not allow much time for end user training--sad to say. <

First let me say I am not taking any shots at you or your working for a
trade magazine. I respect you, appreciate your articles, and understand
you have no control over the advertising. Besides you will leave me
good stuff in your will.
I am also in full agreement that most of the problem stems from larger
companies, but I often chuckle when trade magazines make no mention of
it because those larger companies are also the largest advertisers. How
happy would your old boss be if you slammed a company like BRINKS, ADT,
Monitronics, or Pro1, and if you slammed them by name? Would the
publisher allow such a story to print?
Trade magazines always have soft articles on these companies doing
fabulous things, but where are the articles about how dangerous it is
for Protect America to mail systems out to end users? Let's see an SDM
Top 100 for the BEST installation, and watch how quick the plug gets
pulled on the advertising dollars from nationals. ADT runs out there
year in and year out claiming to be #1 because SDM ranks them as such
in the Top 100 due to volume, but are they really the best alarm
company?
So as long as we are being honest we should also take note that our
trade publications are also in denial.
Larger companies are more concerned about getting to the next install
rather than making sure all is well with the system they just finished.

I mentioned here once about a service call I did for an ADT dealer and
when I asked the customer for the location of the motion they handed it
to me. The tech told them it would be better if it wasn't installed in
one spot because this way they could have protection in whatever room
they wanted. When that system falsed was it the fault of the customer?
Again, we should work on correcting our own mistakes rather than
wasting resources to blame the end users, and reducing their level of
protection with dispatch procedures that COULD (note I didn't say DO)
cause someone harm in the event of a real emergency.

> I'll read the report and then I'll come back and comment.  I just had
> to confess to the world that I'm on "old bastard," too :-). <

Confession is a great thing, Al. Being 1/2 a ginzo I am anxiously
awaiting this weekend for another food marathon. Grilling the lamb over
a spit, and doing the manicotti action. I should be 4 waist sizes
larger by dessert. Did you buy the lamb yet? Should I send you some
canolies?
Oh wait, you're from Ohio. You folks wouldn't know good italian food if
it bit you on the ass. I should have asked if you made reservations at
the Olive Garden yet :-)