bAss the Christian

 From:  Robert L Bass - view profile
Date:  Mon, Sep 5 2005 1:08 pm
Email:   Robert L Bass <s...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Groups:   alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

| Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

> So the criteria is not just "taking of life" but "taking
> of innocent life".

> Lets explore:

> 1. There have been innocent people executed in error.
> 2. There are innocent people killed during wars.

> If you are against the taking of innocent life then you
> must be against war completely...

1. Agreed, sort of.  I oppose making war against any nation that
is not attacking or threatening me.  That would include Iraq but
not Afghanistan.  It would not have included Vietnam, Grenada or
most of the other places the US has invaded during my lifetime.

> ... and against capital punishment until there is a way
> to make sure that innocent people are never accidentally
> executed.  Since that is not possible, you must then be
> against capital punishment as well...

2. This is a tough one for me.  As a general rule I'm opposed to
capital punishment for three reasons:

        a. I can't be 100% certain who is guilty since witnesses, cops
        and prosecutors sometimes lie.

        b. It is disproportionately used against the poor and
        minorities.

        c. Bush thinks it's great fun.

OTOH, there are a few people whose presence on the planet remains
a threat to everyone around them.  Prisoners who kill again while
serving life sentences know there is nothing that can be done to
them.

> Regarding sexual behavior, what is the ethical principle
> which you are appealing to in your views?

If you are speaking to Ed, please be advised that he has no
interest in anyone's sexual behavior.  His only purpose in
posting here is to troll.

As for me, I look at it this way.  Anything one or more
consenting adults want to do between themselves in the privacy of
their own home or in the presence of other consenting adults is
their business.  Anything involving minors or incapacitated
persons should be punishable by surgery.  :^)

> ... For religious people the rule would be "I believe that it
> is commanded by God".

I believe in God and I usually try to do what I think He would
want me to do.  Absent an audible commission from Him, I don't
believe He wants me to tell you or anyone else what to do.  I
figure if He is able to speak to me about what I should do He can
also tell you or Ed what to do.  Whether you or Ed decide to obey
Him is your business.

Side note: As a Christian, I believe I'm supposed to tell others
about God.  I DON'T believe that I'm supposed to tell others how
to live for God.  That's His job.

Second side note:  A few of the folks who infest a certain other
newsgroup seem to have a hard time reconciling my statement that
I'm a Christian with the fact that I'm also of Jewish heritage.
Posts like this may draw flames since one of the regulars of said
other forum likes to post here too.  C'est la "Net.  :^)

> Some of the key words here are:
> 1. "standards of right or good conduct": I read this as principles. Rules
> are derived from principles.

I disagree.  Much of the time rules are derived from personal
advantage.  Those in power often create rules to help them obtain
more power and/or wealth at the expense of those who have less
power.  Rules, it seems, often have nothing to do with
principles.

> Rather than read me your list of rules you should spend
> some time thinking about the principles from which
> those rules generate. I agree that it is more difficult to
> find a moral compass without religion but it can be done.
> It is done with principles.

Many principles seem to emanate from religiosity.  For example,
the principle of charity is often ingrained in religious thought.
Unfortunately, the *act* of charity isn't as often practiced as
it is spoken of by religious zealots.

> Despite your assertions to the contrary Ed, I believe that
> your values are relatively unexamined (by you)...

I suspect you're giving Ed more credence than he deserves or
wants.  His entire purpose in posting here is to troll.  I
seriously doubt he gives a rat's bunda about sexuality, morality
or anything else other than the attention he can get by posting
absurdities.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass