Re: False alarms - Irv Fisher

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Everywhere Man said:
>
> >What do you think about fining the centrals? Jim mentioned that they do
> >that somewhere in Canada, and said the rates dropped alot. I googled
> >for the Irv Fisher post but I couldn't find it.
>
> I went looking through Google and found a couple of his posts, which appear
> below.  He sounds like an interesting guy, too bad he isn't posting any
> more.  These are from about seven years ago. <

He's a very smart person who left the group when the shit hit the fan
years ago.
His solution sounds pretty solid, but the odds of that ever taking
place in the States is slim to none. It's pulling teeth just to get
alarmcos to admit the customer isn't wrong all of the time so imagine
what it would be like trying to convince them that there should be
consequences for the times the alarmco is wrong?
We can't even get centrals to stop contracting with people who received
their alarm in the mail, let alone cut off an installing company that's
just throwing any old shit up against the wall.
Until we make some kind of move it's either going to be longer response
times or customers getting wacked with fines.

In my opinion the ECV is a tool to cut down dispatches, but it's only
going to take guessing wrong one time for us to pay a huge price. We're
robbing from Peter to pay Paul.
I'll add to your previous scenario.
Monday 3pm Joe Smith is at work, and his alarm goes off. The CS calls
Joe to ask if they should dispatch, and Joe says his kid gets home at
that time and they probably didn't get to the alarm in time so hold on
while he calls the house to make sure all is well. Joe calls the house
and there's no answer. He calls back and his kid answers the phone
saying everything is ok. Joe cancels dispatch. What Joe doesn't know is
that when his kid was entering the house they were followed in by a
crook, and the crook is warning the kid to say nothing is wrong.  I'd
hate to see what Joe might walk into when he gets home.
It may never happen but if something like this does happen just once
it's a million times too many.
Install it properly, instruct them properly, service it promptly,
disconnect repeat offenders, and let the CS do their job which is to
dispatch on an alarm.