Re: Digital vs Analong Cell backup - Sunset Clause

> Are any of the cell backup service providers working with any of the dealers
> on this?  Somehow it just doesn't seem right that I kept installing analog
> cell backup units when the providers knew full well that they would be
> worthless in a fairly short time period.

The first time I heard about it was from someone at Telguard.  The subject has
been broached here in the past as well.

As to footing the bill for upgrades vs losing the clients, there are a couple of
things to take into consideration.  First, even if the client pots to leave you
he will still have to buy a new unit.  No one else is going to pay to upgrade
his hardware for him.  I realize this isn't particularly fair but it is a fact
of life.

The second issue is that the sunset clause is not a deadline.  It lays out the
point after which service providers will no longer be *required* to offer analog
service.  It's not likely that the providers will drop all analog service
overnight as that would be a financial disaster for them.  Don't forget that,
while they can make more money through all digital service than through analog,
they still have a significant base of analog cell phone users.

The most likely scenario will be that *new* service requests will be fulfilled
using digital and analog services will gradually dry up as the customer base
upgrades of their own volition (most people replace cell phones periodically
anyway).  When the analog client base diminishes enough that the RMR loss won't
be too painful to the cell providers then they will cancel the remaining analog
services.

In short, don't worry.  It will probably be three to five more years after the
sunset clause takes effect before analog dies.  From this day forward sell
nothing but digital.  Whenever a major service problem arises with an existing
analog unit, you can explain the situation and offer to upgrade to digital at
cost.  That should turn the situation into an opportunity for you to strengthen
rather than hurt your client relationships.  There will always be a few who
decline but the same people might leave or drop the cell backup service anyway.

Best of luck with this.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.