Re: HTMF: Bass Hole Electronics opens tech support office in India

tomas o'le wrote:
> You guys are getting very boring with your constant bashing of Bass.

Yeah...  and it will probably continue too considering what we've had to
put up with for the last couple of weeks.

> This has been going on for years and it just makes you rather than
> Robert look like fools or little kids.

Uh-huh...  And another "sock puppet" rears itself...  Do you even bother
reading what's been going on here??

> You guys seem to fear
> competition from DYIfers.

Heh...   right...   We "fear" DIY'ers.  You obviously haven't a clue.

> You shouldn't be so scared.

I'm "quaking" in my boots.

> There is
> plenty of work to go around, not to mention that a lot of the DIY
> folks will end up going to a pro when they try to program their panel.

I think you're putting the wrong spin on the whole thing here.  A lot of
DIY'ers are perfectly capable of programming their own systems.  It's
not "rocket science".  Where some may have a problem is that
"alarm-speak" isn't always in plain English.  The terms "Uploading" and
"Downloading" for instance.

> Don't be so scared.

We're not.  I think you're confusing being "amused" with being "scared".

> I can't believe even the moderator who really
> should be unbiased is on the constant slam.

There is no "moderator" in this group.  This is an "alt" Newsgroup.  The
individual posting as "Group-Moderator" is nothing more than another
"Bass in sheep's clothing".  He's not above spamming the Group just as
Robert's been doing for the last couple of weeks.

> I've ordered from Bass
> before

Sure you have.

> and he went way out of his way to help me.  He went as far as
> calling long distance (when it wasn't free) on his dime for close to
> an hour to help with an order as he noticed an issue with my order.

Uh-huh...  What's the order number?  What parts did you order, and when?
  What "issue" did Robert go out of his way on in helping you??
Robert's had VOIP for a heck of a long time (in fact he was pretty savvy
about taking on the technology when he did).

> Robert had issues in the past, so what?  Sounds like he's gotten his
> act together. I've had a business in the past, I know how quick some
> people are to call the BBB.  It really means nothing anymore.  I'd
> order from him in a second.  In fact I probably will for a friends
> install that I'm helping with, just because you guys bashed him so
> much.

Yeah...   sure...  As for the BBB, people don't usually take that step
until they've exhausted all other efforts at resolving the situation
with a merchant.  I agree that you can't please everyone all of the
time, but if a retailer is genuinly concerned about customer service
then most would make the effort to at least settle on a compromise that
would obviate the need to involve a third party like the BBB.  Robert
clearly has had issues that he's been reluctant to negotiate on.  People
that have filed the complaints may well have not familiarized themselves
with his terms of service.  He makes it fairly clear that there is a "no
questions asked" return policy that *excludes* specific goods and
services.  This is an issue that wouldn't occur with a local dealer.  If
you, for instance, ordered a fire alarm system from us you wouldn't be
"unhappy" with the product (or the service).

I think a lot of the complaints Robert receives has to do with people
getting in "over their heads".  They look at his website and are somehow
convinced that the job will be "easy".  Robert goes out of his way to
make you think so.  When they finally get the stuff and open the manuals
they realize that it's not going to be as "simple" as they thought.  The
manufacturer's manuals don't come with specific "how to" instructions.
They're written on the premise that the individual doing the install is
already familiar with specific terms, running wire, local codes and
ordinances, and local construction techniques.  All of a sudden you're
faced with instructions that call for programming knowledge, specific
testing equipment (glass break sensors for example), installation gear
(we're talking fish tape, Grabbits, long drill bits, programming
interfaces, special modems, etc.).  Most DIY'ers aren't familiar with
their use and have no access to training other than talking to some
"hack" over the phone that hasn't installed anything for years, and in
some instances isn't even familiar with the equipment (has probably
never even seen it).

> Later,

Take your comments to alt.security.diy.  They're not appreciated here.
If you're really thinking about buying online, I'd suggest going with
any number of online stores that don't have "phone problems" that
prevent them from receiving calls.

http://www.norcoalarms.com
http://www.smarthome.com
http://www.wmballen.com

Or read this:

http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/buyingonline.htm

All of the online dealers mentioned there have at least participated in
this Group.  A number of them will be able to answer your questions
without pointing you to a "buy now" button on their own websites.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com