Re: No serial ports

alarman wrote:
> "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>Use the network wizard thingie on the laptop, it'll create a floopie that
>>you just pop in the 98se machine and bada-bing youre done.
>

> Tried that a while back but couldn't get yhe XP machine to play nice with
> the 98SE machines. I'll give it a try again, though along with no serial
> port, there's no floppy on the new laptop. I'll have to try a CD.
> js

Getchurself one of those new fanagled USB chippie drives.  Them's work
better'n flooopies.  It also helps (in some cases where you have a
"mixed bag" of connected machines) to actually assign the IP addresses
to each computer and set up the address range in the switch instead of
having it automatically assign them.  This has the added benefit of
being able to block certain computers from using the internet.  We do
this with a couple of machines running 98SE we use to download panels 'n
setch but grant them temporary access to upgrade the virus defs and Winders.