Re: It's time

Michael Baker wrote:
> Thank you Nick Markowitz.  You've galvanized this group.  It's high
> time to make alt.security.alarms a friendly place.  All posters to this
> group, pleae make a note of this.  By simply ignoring
> the-poster-known-as Robert L Bass, through kill-filing or whatever it
> takes, will very quickly see a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

I don't think "ignoring" Robert is the answer.  Allowing him to continue
to maliciously attack individuals and the industry (while at the same
time promoting his own self-serving interest) without a reasonable (and
ethical) response doesn't serve our community (this Newsgroup) or the
people posting here seeking help.  I think there are other ways to deal
with this and ensure his online marketing efforts here continue to be
frustrated without resorting to publishing personal information or "more
vitriol", however.

Robert has a long history of abusing the various Groups he participates
in.  He's articulate and knowledgeable.  He also has a huge chip on his
shoulder.  He views anything or anyone that opposes his efforts here as
a direct attack on him and somehow manages to equate that with our being
"against DIY'ers".  Look at what happened to FIRETEK.  All he was doing
was pointing out the Group's "original purpose" message.

In many Newsgroups, the "purpose message" is frequently posted in order
to help newcomers understand what the Group is all about (it also serves
to remind the participants).  Steve Ryckman said it best.

"As this is an un-moderated newsgroup we are at the mercy of those who
choose to post into the group. A way to recognize those who are actually
Supporting Members of the group was proposed as a means of identifying
just who is trying to help and who is in it for themselves. Whether or
not someone is a supporting member is not a declaration by anyone but a
way that we can tell if each of us meets these criteria in our own mind."

(http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/asafaq.htm)

I think it's important for Newbies to the Group to understand the
dynamics here.  It's sort of like guiding someone *through* a minefield
rather than just warning them that they're actually standing in one.  I
also understand that people might feel differently about this.  I
respect that.  I don't respect someone that continues to demonstrate a
desire to usurp the Group's purpose though and will continue to advocate
against any such attempt.  I started posting here because I have an
interest in discussing industry related news and sharing my knowledge.
I've made a few mistakes (as we all have from time to time), and I've
learned a lot about Moose panels (probably more than I really wanted to
know).  I also figure Tom needs all the help he can get with that new
"addition" to his family and in case you haven't been able to see
through all the poop in this last bit, I'm here to have a few laughs.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com