Re: Audio Video and power over cat 5

> Even with calculators as aids, wire (NEC) size also eludes most.

Many just use "Burglar Alarm Wire" and "Fire Alarm Wire" without
even knowing why they use a particular gauge, let alone what its
limitations may be.  The boss says to use this wire and that wire
and that's all they know.  Thank the so-called "authorized
dealer" programs for dumbing down the industry.  28 years ago
when I was just learning most installers understood the job.  Now
they only need to know how to get two wireless door contacts and
one motion installed as fast as possible so they can get on to
the next vict... er, customer.

>... I just visited a Car Dealership in which these residential
> applications were applied to a 25 acre lot. Everything, even
> the cameras, is powered with wall warts....  I can't imagine
> why InterStar, the company that installed it, went bankrupt.
> Go figure....

Heh.  I see that all the time, even when DIYers are taking over
bad "custom" installed systems.  I recently had a customer call
because his "monitored" alarm wasn't working correctly.  Turns
out the system wasn't even connected to the phone line.  The
alarm company never installed an RJ31X nor even hard-wired it to
the phones.  There were several sensors that had not been
connected to the panel either.  The smokes were wired using
ordinary 22/4 cable as well.

Although the alarm company never finished the installation they
did send him a bill every month since he bought the new house.
When the customer discovered it wasn't connected to the phone
line he took it over, added some sensors and I helped him locate
a monitoring firm.

The installing dealer has since sent him a notice that he can't
switch monitoring services until the three-year term ends.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms