Re: End of Line Resistor - Are they a standard design?

Robertm wrote:
> "Mike Sokoly" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>

>>Crash Gordon wrote:
>>
>>>Resistors can be gotten from any electronics supplier. Sometimes you
>>>can't get the exact spot on value and have to fudge it a bit, but unless
>>>its a really weird resistor you should be able to find replacement.
>>>

>>Remember that 4th band on the resisitor? Gold/Silver/None?
>>You can get pretty close, then if your not exact: remember to look at the
>>tolerance band: +/- 5%, 10%, 20% then do the math- if your intended value
>>falls within the +/- % spec you're good to go!
>>Mike S.
>>
> I don't think so. If you're looking for a 2K resistor and you find a 2.5K -
> 20%, it could be anywhere from 2K to 3K. If it's more than 2.3K, you'd be
> out of spec for many systems. You'd have to actually measure the resistor to
> see what it's value is. Most resistors on the market today are 5%. Rather
> than mess with tolerances, you'd be better off combining resistors in a
> series or parallel configuration to get what you want. Resistors in series
> add their values Rt = R1 + R2. For resistors in parallel  (R1xR2) / (R1 +
> R2).
>
> Bob

Most are 5%?"I do'nt think so"- I can find 10% easily.
Why do you think I said "DO THE MATH"?
My stupid assumption that guys who install in the field are competent
and capable as well as maybe having SOME BASIC knowledge( maybe they
passed a State Test?) SOME Courses go over this!
What's your're thoughts on matching Wattage, Genius?