Re: Hidden contact long drill bits?

Bill wrote:
> Where do you get *very* long drill bits for drilling from a door or window
> through the wall and up into the attic?
>
> The kind I have seen have a narrow 5 ft. long rod welded to a regular drill
> bit, then there is a hole drilled through the end of the bit and at the end
> of the rod. Then when you have drilled a hole through to the attic, you can
> thread a wire through the end of the drill bit, then pull the wire back out
> through the hole you just drilled.

Will your roof pitch allow you to reach the tip of the bit to attach
the wire?

Ranch houses usually don't have that steep a pitched roof to allow easy
access to the tip of the drill bit. If this is the case, you'll may
find that you will have to use a fish tape ( snake ) to push up through
the drilled hole, into the attic, so that you can attach the wire to
something you can reach. Be sure to mark the shaft of the bit with a
piece of tape, so that you don't drill through the roof.

Snakeing the wire into the attic may be a good test of your patience if
you have no experience.