Re: Central Station Construction

James said:

>What types of buildings are acceptable for a UL Central Station?  I have a
>copy of the UL spec, but it says things like "the roof is required to be a
>class A"  with no other explaination.  What is a class A roof?  I know a
>block building with a gravel roof is acceptable but I am wondering what
>other construction types are?

There's a UL standard that defines Class A, B, and C fire-resistive roofs,
UL 790.  But you don't need to become a roofing expert to build a central
station.  If you're building a building, just tell your architect.  If
you're buying one, get a roofing contractor to give you a letter.  Spanish
tiles and slate roofs can provide Class A protection, for example, but
what's underneath the tiles is also important.  Basically, Class A means it
doesn't burn easily, and can resist a severe fire exposure.  Think in terms
of someone throwing a Molotov cocktail onto the roof of your building, or a
wildfire surrounding the building.

If you have a copy of UL 827, you have the construction specs for the walls
and ceiling, and the physical security requirements.  One option that often
works is an upper floor in a multi-story office building, since newer tall
buildings are built with fire-resistive construction.  However, there are
special problems with multi-tenant buildings.  Protection of the central
station phone lines, emergency power, and a fire alarm system for the
entire building are points to remember.

Good luck with your project.

- badenov