Re: Self renewing contracts?

I can auto renew provided the renewal term is specified in the contract and
is not limited by other state laws.  In some states it can only renew for
one year and in some states you must notify the customer just before the
automatic renewal takes effect.

Tell the customer to send a certified letter to p1 requesting a copy of her
contract - they have to provide it cause thats the law in every state - and
when you get it check to see if it is actually a valid contract.  If they
fail to provide a copy of the contract send another letter telling them any
agreement is cancelled effective immediately.

Now, it may be that the contract they have is not even a contract the
customer signed; it may be a contract somebody else signed and then they
moved into the house and assumed it.  Its not even valid in that case.

If the customer signed it and they only lease the property its not any good
as the actual property owner would have to also sign and agree to it.  If
its a rental property the contract is pretty much worthless.

The contract may not even have an automatic renewal clause in it

If the monthly rate increases you always have the right to cancel at that
time and not pay any increased rate of course the company could then decide
not to increase your rate and you couldn't cancel.

You may get lucky and discover nobody representing the company ever signed
the contract or that the contract cannot be transferred to p1 from whomever
installed the original system.

In many contracts if some fatal happens to the system and you choose not to
invest the money to replace it the contract will terminate at that point.