Re: "Blanks" kill actors

Jim,

>There are a lot of reasons you didn't hear about gun accidents and
>murders fifty years ago.  One, a lot more guns around now.

Does that mean more guns per person or more people with guns?
Or does it work out to the same ratio? So I guess that means that
even though the law abiding citizens are still law abiding, the
number of bad guys is greater so there are more gun incidents
Is that it?  So we should pass more laws to limit the use of
firearms .......by the law abiding people ....... right?

>  Two, more
>densely populated areas means a lot more bystander victims.

So that obviously refers to the bad people who have guns and
use them unlawfully. So we should pass more laws to limit
the use of handguns by law abiding citizens ...... right?

> Three,
>less publicity back then of a lot of things.

That must refer to newspapers and media  never publishing
ANYTHING about people who prevent injury, save lives,
or property, because they legally used a firearm.

>Four, per your example,
>people who kept guns around taught their kids.

And those today who DON"T teach their kids and take
precautions with their firearms ..... and are the cause of
a disaster.  Why is it THEY are not punished by the law
instead of trying to pass gun banning laws and unenforceable
trigger lock laws and restrict law abiding citizens access to guns?

>As far as why you don't hear all the cases whereby people
>use guns to stop crimes, it's because it rarely happens.  Period.

Well, lemmie tell ya. You're absolutely wrong. If you're really
interested I'll post a dozen or so. All you have to
do is look in the right places and it's there. There's been a
number of studies done through the years and it's indicated that
it's at least in the hundreds of thousand times a year, minimum.

> Versus all the
>times kids find guns improperly stored (I just heard of a study that
>said that one in three households with a gun have it loaded and NOT
>locked away) and shoot their friends.

You'd have to show me which gun banning group did that study and
provide their sources ( which are never revealed)  Can you just imagine
someone taking a survey and asking a gun owner if they locked up their
gun. Even if they didn't ..... who who would say so? That's just like
trying to pass a law that makes it mandatory to store all firearms
locked up or with trigger guards. Who the hell is ever going to enforce
it? In other words, if they didn't have the sense to keep their guns
away from children without there being a law, they wouldn't do it ....
if there WAS a law.  A trigger lock law is sensless.

 > This happens several times a year in NYC alone.

I sincerely doubt that and again would ask you for your source and
their source of that statistic. I don't remember if the The Dept of
Justice statistics go into that detail, but as most of the gun banners
information, it's likely a made up story. Show me the source of the
information and from where it was derived and then it has credibility.
Otherwise it's mear propaganda.

 > So you can stop using phrases like "Liberal media"
>for the lack of information.

If you think that there isn't a preponderance of liberal media in the
US, I don't know what else I can say.

>Here in NYC we have Fox News, Fox Cable
>News and the NY Post, and I don't recall seeing any stories recently of
>gun owners stopping crimes.  Unless you count the police as gun owners,
>and they too are sometimes shot with their own guns.

By law abiding citizens ..... or the bad guys? Gun restrictions effect
the law abiding citizens. Enforce the laws that are presently on the
books and gun crimes will drop to fantastically and unbeliveable lows.

>So-- while you may not want people to take away your gun, or your car
>for that matter, wouldn't you agree that some sort of mandatory gun
>safety course, and doing all we can do to keep guns out of the hands of
>people who aren't responsible (and their kids, too) is a good idea?

Yep, I think it's a great idea. But beyond that, the best way I can
insure that other people who have guns, use them responsibly is to have
one myself. If the bad guys don't know who has a gun and who
doesn't,.... that's the best deterrent. After this Katrina hurricane
business settles down, do you think there will be an increase in the
number of people who purchase guns?  I do. And I think they're right in
doing so. There's a small faction of nasty unlawful people in this
world. But as you indicated above, the increase of population makes
them more pronounced now and if you are right, it will continue to
increase. Law abiding people have the right to protect themselves
....because (as in the aftermath of Katrina) the authorities can't and
we can't expect them
to.

>You can take the idea that registration = confiscation and lock it away
>in your gun case.

Up till now, you were doing ok but at this point I'd have to guess that
you're just talking off the top of your head, and not a gun advocate,
or banner, so I'll have to excuse your lack of knowledge about what's
been happening in Britain, Australia and Canada over the past decade or
so. Canadian citizens are resiting it and it looks like, over the long
haul, the great billion dollar gunboggle just might be recinded. In the
other two nations, the rise in the rate of violent crime has reached
the highest in the western world. Now, only the crimials have the guns
and they know the citizens don't.  Also, it's a fact that every nation
in history, who's populace has been overpowered by their government, it
has been essential that the populace not have access to arms and if
they do, over a period of time,. they are registered and then
confiscated.

Dat's da Facts Jack. Like it or not. Believe it or not.
Do some reading and research, as I've done and you'll either like it
or not.

Oh and by the way, my guns are loaded and accessible at all times.
With no children in the house any longer, trigger locks and gun
cases only hamper access. Keep in mind that over the summer months, in
my area ( within 20/30 miles) , there were about a half a dozen home
invasions.