Re: P1 - runaround?

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:58:23 GMT, "mac" <mac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> I currently have a house alarm being monitored by P1.

My condolences.  :)

> I plan to sell the house and would like the Master Code
> (I am alarm system illiterate so I hope that is correct)
> to give to the new owner in case they are DIY type and
> want to change the access codes themselves or don't
> want monitoring.
>
> P1 is telling me that they can not give me the code
> because the same code is used by the manufacturer
> for all their alarm systems. Seems to me that this
> code is something that would be programmed at
> installation.

You assume correctly.  Many installing dealers change the code
from the manufacturer's default.  I'm unfamiliar with Westar but
the "5010" leads me to believe your panel is likely a DSC
Power832, aka model PC5010.  The default code is 5010 unless this
is a proprietary version.

If you own the system (i.e., it's not a leased system) then you
are legally entitled to have all access codes.  What you do with
that information is your business.  The alarm company has no
right to deny you access to your own hardware.

FYI, dishonest alarm companies will often use the above excuse or
another favorite -- giving you the code to program your own
system will expose them to liability -- to avoid giving you full
access to the alarm which is your property.

> I don't know the manufacturer of the system. It is
> labeled WSS5010 and was installed by Westar about
> 5 years ago. I assume that is just the nomenclature
> Westar gives it though.

Probably so.

> Am I getting the runaround or are they being up front?

You're getting the runaround.  If you need the installation
manual for the 5010 let me know and I'll send you one.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms