Re: Another inept Bush pal leaves FEMA

> >AP Story --
> >
> >"WASHINGTON - Mike Brown, the subject of blistering criticism
> >after Hurricane Katrina battered the Gulf Coast and overwhelmed
> >the government's response, quit Monday as director of the
> >Federal Emergency Management Agency..."
> >
> >"White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the White House did
> >not seek Brown's resignation..."
> >
> >"His resignation came three days after he was sent back to
> >headquarters from the Gulf area, where he had been the
> >government's disaster point-man..."
> >
> >I love how Brown's resignation wasn't "sought" though Bush did
> >tell him to go home and let the military handle things for a
> >while.
> >
> >The replacement, Dave Paulison is experienced in disaster relief.
> >He's also a really nice guy.
>
> The textbook definition of "scapegoat."  As you'll recall I saw this
> coming several days ago in a reply to your post.  Too bad this isn't
> an election year.

In this case he isn't being made a scapegoat.  He resigned
because the President pulled him from his post.  That happened
because public opinion of the president and FEMA is at an
all-time low.  That in turn happened because FEMA screwed up very
badly.

The guy was overwhelmed by the magnitude of the disaster and he
sat on his hands for days rather than take charge and get the
troops in right away.  This was partly because he had zero
knowledge or experience in disaster relief and probably because
he doesn't have the personality to handle an emergency.
Remember, he was only given the job because of his friendship
with Bush and his cronies -- there was nothing in his resume to
warrant giving him even a mid-level FEMA post, let alone put him
in charge.

A dear friend of mine's father spent years as a FEMA manager,
assisting with minor to major disasters, including hurricane
Andrew, after which he retired.  Although he's a staunch
Republican, he has expressed similar thoughts about Mike Brown.
The fact is even those who worked with him saw him as inept.  His
appointment by Bush was without a scintilla of concern for his
ability, or rather his lack thereof.  This was classic cronyism
and it cost a lot of people their lives.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms