Re: avoiding being "locked out"

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6JydnSlT2OlfaYXeRVn-uQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> One thing I have wondered is why everyone makes such a fuss about keeping
> the receiver number, account number, and other information so secret. I
ask
> this question quite honestly, since to my knowledge, my CS doesn't make an
> issue about such things. Perhaps you could tell me why knowing the
receiver
> number that someone uses is so dangerous. I do service for other alarmco's
> who are friends, when they are on vacation, and they always leave me with
> the relevant calling information, plus receiver numbers for the blocks of
> panels, in case I have to replace one of their panels in their absence.
And
> they know all my information in return.
>
> Thanks
>
> RHC

Slight difference between you doing service for someone else and a homeowner
plugging away at the keypad not fully knowing what the account number,
format and receiver number really does. Also say a tech has a chip on his
shoulder because he's taking over a system from a company he used to work
for.

I've seen the results of both over the years, also with many companies only
certain panels can go to certain phone numbers, for example with Westingouse
we had all WS5010's on 2 phone numbers, these panels used 10-digit account
numbers using SIA format, putting a standard PC5010 on that line sending
4-digit SIA gums up the works and MIGHT get someone else dispatched on. Same
with Honeywell's current V15P/20P using 10-digit Contact ID which the
company I work for currently uses..