Re: DSC Power 832 Puzzle (Long)

You have some power hungry devices there as well. Is the battery the
original battery and what size is it? You may want to go from a 12V4ah, if
that is what you have to a 12V7ah seeing as how you are not always at home.
It's only been two + years since you had the system installed, but don't let
that dictate whether to consider the battery or not. Batteries can go bad. I
don't know if there were any power outages during your alarm, (even a short
blimp). Have you had any extended outages since the system was first
installed? Figure out your amp draw and do a load test on the system. If the
battery isn't holding, it can cause a false on a power device (motion). The
other thing that comes to mind, is the basement damp. Slightest bit of
condensation on the PIR board could also do it as well.

> Its good that  you cleaned it all up. But I would have started trbl
shooting
> with the pir that falsed...first the wiring...no nicks or loose wires for
> the loop or power?...then investigate environmental problems in
> basement...rodents, spiders, temperature changes, water drips, is it
looking
> at a water heater, airconditioner, furnace...and clean the pir...junk like
> that. I've even seen a pir looking at a fax machine...that was a tricky
one
> to figure out.
>

> "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> | Disclaimer:  This is largely a DIY setup, but I hope you will agree that
> it
> | has been very carefully done (in major part by alarm pros), and that
this
> is
> | a serious inquiry.
> |
> | Setup:  Power 832 5010, 2 LCD5500 Keypads, 5208 PGM board, Escort 5580
> | board, 5108 zone board, 5132 wireless board.  All window and door
sensors
> | hard-wired, 4 PIRs hard wired, 2 key fobs (in cars) on the wireless
board.
> | No additional wireless sensors.  All programming using DLS 2002 (which
> shows
> | no errors).
> |
> | The physical system has shown no errors since installation in June 2003.
> | Except for HA programming on the Escort board in the last few weeks that
> | involved changing PGM 3 to 10 attributes on the main board, there have
> been
> | no additional recent changes.  No errors have occurred with the HA (X10)
> | portion of the system in the 2 or so weeks since the Escort programming
> | changes.
> |
> | On Friday 16 Sep in the afternoon I armed the system in "away" mode to
run
> | few errands.  About 10 minutes after my departure the basement PIR sent
> | series of alarms to the monitoring station and I was contacted.
Returned
> | home to disarm the system and check the premises, but no physical
> intrusion
> | observed.  No pets or other persons in this home, etc.
> |
> | I put the alarm into test with the monitoring company, put the system
into
> | section 901 installer "walk-thru"  test mode, and tried to check the
> | basement PIR.  At this point the system crashed and I was unable to use
> the
> | keypads.  I tried for about an hour to recover, but no go.  Frustrated,
> | removed the AC and the battery, vowing to extract my revenge the next
day.

> | On the next day, I removed all wiring from the main board.  The wiring
was
> | unfortunately a bit of a rats nest, following the initial installation
(by
> | the builder's sub), some work by an alarm pro friend (who added the PIRs
> and
> | the zone expansion board and got me started with the programming about 2
> | years ago, and myself (who added the wireless,
> | the 5208, the Escort, and probably a few other things).
> |
> | Removing, labeling, and cleaning up the wiring took a very long time,
but
> it
> | was done with care.  I used a small 66 punch-down board to connect the
> main
> | bus wires from all the expansion boards to the main board, and to
connect
> | all the PIR aux wires to the main board aux terminals.  All connections
> were
> | tested carefully prior to reinstalling.
> |
> | While the main board was "naked" I defaulted the panel by shorting the
PGM
> | "1" and the Zone "1" pins.  Following re-connection of all wiring (in
> | stages) I powered up the panel with no errors, re-assigned the keyboards
> | (slots 7 and 8), and re-downloaded the panel using the backup from the
DLS
> | 2002 software.
> |
> | All went "per design" and the system appears to be working perfectly,
> | including the basement PIR that seemed to be the initial culprit.
However