Re: Insurance question for small business owners

Probably depends upon where you are and under what circumstances.

Around here you don't need any license to buy insurance - anyone can buy
insurance for most anything and in any amounts.

You won't need liability insurance unless you operate a 'storefront' of some
type that is open to the public.  If you operated your buisness out of your
house or your trunk (trunkslammer) there is no requirement for liability
insurance aside from your standard homeowner's policy.  It won't cover any
buisness operations but there's no requirement for businesses to have
insurance per se.  Insurance is always a good idea but many many businesses
don't have it simply because of the cost - unless there are some regulations
forcing companies to carry insurance they don't carry it.

Landlords usually require tenants to have liability insurance otherwise
folks wouldn't have it.

There may be some state license related requirement that says you need some
particular type and/or amount of insurance but if you don't have any license
then those requirements don't apply to you because they only apply to
companies that do have a license..

Why would a monitoring station care one way or another if you have
insurance?  Your insurance won't cover them anyway as it would only cover
you and what you did.  And they cannot by law require you to name them as an
additional insured in your policy because you have no control over their
business and/or their operations.  I'm sure they would like somebody else to
insure them but thats just wishful thinking.