Re: Radionics D7212B1 Panel Help

WYSIWIG said:

>I recently purchased a Radionics D7212B1 panel from my local surplus store
>in the hopes of building a simple, non-monitored alarm for my house. The
>board is dated 9743 and numbered 7212. The EPROM on the board is labeled (C)
>Radionics 1995, D7212B1 U4, 26-06962-0316. The Lithium back up battery was
>shot (<0.5Vdc) so I replaced it with a fresh one. The board seems to power
>up and run. It beeps, the LEDs blink, it seems to respond to a battery being
>attached, it answers incoming calls, data and power appears to be on the
>Peripheral device connection pins. However, when I connect a D1255 panel to
>it, the panel displays "Call For Service" about a minute after power on. The
>manual says this means no communication is established between the D7212 and
>the D1255. Is there something I need to do to get this to work so I can use
>it?

Bad news...you're screwed.  First of all, the lithium battery was dead.
That means the panel has lost its program, and you will have to send it
back to the factory for reprogramming.  Even if you had a 5200 programmer,
you'd still be screwed.  The panel contains a "datalock" code, which
prevents one Radionics dealer from programming another dealer's panel, and
now that your panel has a dead lithium battery, no one except the factory
can reprogram your panel.  (Maybe Jim Rojas knows how to fix this, but
ordinary Radionics/Bosch dealers do not.)  A 5200 programmer will show a
datalock violation, and RAM IV software won't be able to connect, either.

I'm a longtime Radionics/Bosch dealer, so I know what I'm talking about.
I've had panels I purchased lose their memory due to that damn lithium
battery, and had to send them back to the factory for repair.  I would
cheerfully strangle the life out of the engineer that designed these
goddamn things.

Rule 1:  do not ever buy a used Radionics/Bosch panel unless you are sure
the seller has restored the panel to factory defaults, and that you have a
5200 programmer or RAM IV software to program it with

- badenov.