Re: Just "Inherited" Brinks System & Want to Know Options

"RZ" <SPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I appreciate your responses.
>
> I'm speaking as a newbie but from what I've read, someone with the right
> equipment CAN actually re-program it, but that's not what I want to do.
>
> Other than the keypads & controller panel (?), most or the rest of the
> system is from other manufacturers such as Ademco.  So, I would like to
> know what options I have.  Any other ideas out there?

Someone MIGHT be able to re-program it, though it would probably need new
firmware (which is usually soldered to the mainboard) unless they had the
programmer and the installer code- even then, it will only communicate with
a Brinks' monitoring receiver. Change out the main control panel (box with
CPU and battery in it) and the keypads. Ohm out the wiring with a digital
multimeter to see if they used EOL resistors on the input zones- if so,
locate them (usually at the end-of-line- ie; the device) and change them to
the resistors with the value the new panel will be looking for. Rule of
thumb- Red/Black= +12vdc, -12vdc- Green/Yellow= initiation circuit- IE: n/c
door sensor, n/c motion sensor trip circuit, n/o 4 wire smoke detector
initiation circuit, etc, though this varies. Green/Yellow also commonly used
for keypad communication loop. Important to ascertain which wires go where
before re-wiring a new control panel. Door sensors, Motions, Smoke
detectors, Heat detectors, Sirens, etc are all re-usable. You'll also need
to figure out what the stuff in the "relay box" is for, and re-wire as
necessary. For an alarm novice, figure a full Saturday to replace the
equipment, program, test, and troubleshoot, with a Sunday overlap if you run
into trouble. For a pro it will take 2-3 hrs. tops. YMMV.

PS- need to determine whether your smoke detectors are 2-wire or 4-wire-
someone here probably knows- this makes a difference in how they're wired
and whether you have (or need) a power supervision relay at the end-of-line
on your fire circuit(s). This relay, if installed, will be wired with a
resistor that will need to be changed. Your Siren loop probably isn't
supervised, but if it is properly supervised, there will be a resistor at
one of the sirens that needs to be changed also.