Re: Compass Software

Look Frank, I am not defending the guy, nor am I going to attack him for his
statements. I simply don't see it as useful for the newsgroup for half of
the posts here to be simply "pissing in each others ears". But I'm sure he's
just as hard headed as the rest of us in this group. I too see the jabs and
criticisms of our industry and there are times I wish he'd learn to use a
little discretion in his responses. But then if I was attacked at every
turn, I might respond the same way. Sometimes he goes overboard, (even for
me), but in a lot of his comments regarding our industry, a lot of the time,
he is not too far off the mark....dealers who's only interest is in
"flipping paper", dealers who unethically lock customer owned boards, and
SOME of the"big box" companies and mass marketers who cheapen the whole
market for all of us through atrocious and essentially dishonest dealer
programs and shoddy, minimalistic installations. And I could go on and on...

He too falls victim to the all too easy tendency to generalize about
problems and in the process make them seem more prevalent than they may be
(and I am just as guilty of that too although I do try to be especially
careful in this regard).

And as for Jim, I don't question his willingness to answer DIY'ers, nor his
willingness to respond, although I don't see most of them simply because for
the moment, I have him blocked. But the bottom line is NOTHING that any of
you guys say will change his approach. Make your statement of objection in a
factual way and then let it go. Readers can form their own opinion of the
worth of his statements or not. Factual criticism will always come across as
more convincing than a diatribe of hateful comments. But those same readers
can clearly see the total LACK of worth of some of the more hostile
statements you guys make in response, which only serves to make you look
like "the bad guys". The whole thing comes across sometimes as a bunch of
kids in a school yard fighting about trivia and in the process does nothing
for our image as professionals.

We can keep this thread going until the cows come home, but I absolutely
refuse to engage in the escalating stupidity that goes on here. If you see
that as wearing "rose coloured glasses" so be it. I stated my purpose in
being part of this newsgroup some years ago, and it hasn't changed and won't
change...

So press on....

RHC

"Frank Olson" <Please-use-the-email-links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in