Re: Commercial Alarm - help

I was only a small alarm dealer mind you, but my biggest problem was
end users who did not always take the time to operate their alarm
system properly.  Commercial suffered from high turnover and lax
attitudes, such as a manager who, because he's in a big hurry to get
out of there, causes an alarm to occur. Instead of turning back,
resetting the sytem and calling the CS, they make a run for their car.
The police comes and nothing is wrong, so they call it a false alarm.

I recall one new year's eve when I received a page from the CS
concerning one of my commercial leases.  I responded in time to see the
SO before they left the scene.  They were classifying it as a false
alarm (we did not have false alarms from that account).
One look at the rear of the building told me they were missing
something.  There was a stack of wooden crates knocked over on the
truck dock where a rear double doors was.  There were footprints that
ran off into the neighborhood in the snow.  I asked one of the deputies
if that was their prints, "no, they were there when we arrived."
Humm...

I shook the door with the knob and it was as solid as a rock.  BUT,
when I pushed on the top of the stationary door, the alarm system went
off again.  Here the manager was in such a hurry to leave that they
failed to secure the top lock on that door.  The SO promptly changed
their report to an attempted B&E and I was pleased.

How many PDs and SOs falsely categorize alarm calls?  If I hadn't
pushed on the top of that door, we would never have known.  Someone was
there that night, they knew it, but it was far easier to classify it as
a false because they were unable to duplicate the alarm situation by
tugging on the door.  That's the tip of the iceberg where it comes to
user generated false alarms.

Yes, motions can cause false alarms, especially when the installer
installs them in areas where they could experience problems, such as
facing glass that is apt to see the sun.  Or, by installing a
single-technology detector in a hostile environment where false alarms
are likely.  Even mounting two dual-technology PIR/microwaves too close
together can cuase problems if the microwaves are operating on the same
frequency.

What about other dealers, what seems to be your biggest false alarm
cause?

Al

---
Need a web site, get a web site from Thunder Promotions.
www.tpromo.com