Re: Addressable Smoke Head Protocol

Will,

There used to be a tester that would work on Notifier and other System
Sensor addressable devices called a Mod 400.  The older detectors had a
socket for this tester and it connected to a DMM and let you read the
sensitivity directly.  Unfortunately the newer style heads no longer have
this feature so even if you could get a Mod 400 it would be useless.  Also
the head in question had to be operating when tested.  I am assuming you
have FSP-751 or FSP-851 smokes.

My suggestions is to purchase a 640 panel and about 20 extra heads and bases
and hang them on the wall in your shop.  When a smoke shows dirty, replace
it with a new unit and clean the old smoke and plug it into the shop 640
panel.  You can use the panel to read the sensitivity.  A technician using
Verifire Tools can also connect directly to the panel through the
programming port or network and query the sensitivity of any addressable
sensor.  There is also a web based interface that allows you to do the same
thing with a browser if you have a Notifier network.  I think the chances of
Notifier letting you have their protocol are exactly zero.  I know System
Sensor provides their protocol to OEM manufacturers but the Notifier
protocol has always been different, especially on a Flashscan capable panel
like the 640.

Mike