Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

> bdolph wrote:
>

>>Here are some rod kits that might be of interest.
>

> Thanks for the link.  These look somewhat like thinner versions of the
> rods I use with my chimney brush.  Is that a fair description?

Probably, but far more flexible

> What I'm not understanding from the photographs on the web page you
> linked to is how these rods are getting into the walls.  Are they
> flexible enough to bend through (relatively) small holes in the drywall,
> yet stiffer than (for example) traditional fish tapes, making them
> easier to manipulate?

Each fishing device has its purpose.  The creepzit rods are handy in
most cases but for more flexibility the 10', 15' or 30' fiberglass fish
tape works best.  Metal fish tapes aren't my favorite but I have seen
one of the techs I work with do wonders with them even in insulated
walls.  He puts a bend in the end and can "drive" it right up the wall
around switch boxes and end up with it right where he wants it...

> How does the "egg beater" head work, and where on such a rod is the
> cable attached while working?

It helps it bounce over obstacles and if your rods start to veer off
course you can spin them and it will "walk" you back onto your line.
Typically in these applications you will connect your wire to the back
of your last rod after you have the front end where you want it.

> There are two things I really don't like about any sort of wiring
> projects (and the alarm panel is only one currently planned for my
> house):
>
>   - working with fish tapes

Helps to have an assortment of various kinds as they each have strengths
and weaknesses.  The right tape for the right job makes the work a lot
easier.  I have 6 different types on my truck.

>   - working in the attic at any time of year

With ya there brother....