Firelite Power problems

Ok,
   We had a small hurricane come through recently (Rita, you may have
heard about it, it was in ALL the papers<g>), and we have had about
half a dozen panels that need to be replaced, because the battery
charging circuit is blown. It doesn't see the batteries, can't
recharge the batteries, and if the AC fails, can't use the batteries.
ALL were Firelite (one 5210, the rest 5024's). I'm thinking there was
some power surge either before the lights went out, or when they came
back on. Anyone had the same problem with these panels? A power surge
messing up the battery circuits? Granted, there are some that survived
(I'm sure), but having this many panels pop, all the same maker, makes
me wonder. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Michael