Re: Wireless Home Security Systems

The sad truth about wireless is that only professionals can install it and
make it work right and many of them don't seem to know how to do it either.

Its NOT a do-it-yourself item if you want it to be reliable.

It also offers no security against keypad smashers and about 20% of the time
burglars do knock the keypads off the wall thinking it will silence the
alarm - it won't of course.  But in the case of wireless it will make the
whole system kaput.  GE has a solution for this but nobody uses it or
markets it to the public.

Home Depot offer both the ADT branded GE Simons and the SecureHome branded
Paradox - ProtectAmerica also offers the GE Simon system.

They offer these because they hope millions of stupid consumers will buy
this stuff thinking they can stick 25 wireless switches on their windows and
a couple more on the doors and then plug the box into the phone jack and
wall outlet and have a complete home security system.

The next step (and the most important one because it eliminates the high
cost of signing up accounts by eliminating the dealers) is hoodwinking them
into calling the tolllfree and signing up for monitoring while not having
any actual security because half of the window transmitters don't work and
with any luck at least one door won't work either.  If a professional
installed the system, most likely he would end up having to get it to work.

The poor consumer is left with something he knows nothing about and in the
majority of cases cannot be fixed over the phone.  Some of these will end up
back at Home Depot but most won't.

Many will become 'Paul' systems with a string of continuous bad references
for the security industry even though the security industry had nothing to
do with it.  We get the blame for these just like we do for false alarms and
99% of false alarms are not the fault of the security industry or caused by
any security systems.

If you are willing to spend $149. on a security system and want one that is
relaible and actually works why not call several local dealers(or call
everyone in the phone book if you want) and get estimates for the same
wireless system.

Sure you can buy the Home Depot system for $149. and it covers two doors and
has one motion detector but the cost goes up real fast to add any more doors
or motions or to add all your windows.

Brinks offers a system for $199. but the actual cost is cloer to $1800. wehn
they are all done but I have seen peeps get it for just under $1000.  Brinks
suckers people with an extra keypad and that low $199. come on price but ADT
does the same thing.  Local companies in every area have similar bad deals
but there are good deals if you shop around.

Shop around before you buy online or at the neighnorhood home improvement
center.