Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

petem wrote:

> I am pretty happy to have another fellow from Montreal here...

I basically stumbled upon the newsgroup while reviving a years-old
search for information that would help me put into service an old alarm
panel that I "decomissioned" for a friend.  So far the group has been
very helpful.  The alarm panel is ready for installation, but I'm still
planing where and how I will install sensors.

> Welcome and do worry too much about some of our little friend here..
> DIY is not always something particularly appealing to them ;-)

Thanks for the welcome ... (I've been lurking for a few weeks, actually)

I'm not worried at all.  From what I've seen, polite conduct and an
understanding that people are exchanging free advice and information
(both from a point of view of "you get what you paid for", and from
the point of view of "when seeking free advice, it's best not to make
the advisor do more work than you've done yourself to try and find an
answer") will go a long way in this group.

That said, when I worked in electronics (I was a service technician
for an audio and lighting production company -- GAH! That was about
15 years ago!) I had a sign over my bench that listed hourly rates;
a slightly higher rate if you wanted to wait for the work to be done;
higher yet if you wanted to watch; and even higher if you had tried to
fix it yourself first but couldn't.

I understand the results of someone who knows only enough to be dangerous
doing work themselves, which is why I'm reading this group and websites
I've found from reading the group, as well as starting to ask questions
which I hope will fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

For the most part, these gaps for me are in the physical installation
work;  My understanding of the electronics is fairly solid, and just
about every form of employment I've had has exercised and developped my
troubleshooting skills.

> p.s. Vive le Quebec Libre!! LOL

Oh please!  Let's not start on Quebec politics!  I'd prefer to remain on
everyone's good side, and I don't imagine I could do that if I got into
some political ranting!  :-)

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Systems and Network analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada