Re: OT: phishing

I'm a comedian in NYC.  A few comics I know have gotten emails asking
them to go to England to perform in a private show (usually some rich
guy's birthday party or something like that) and asking what it would
cost to hire them.  When they've written back they've been told that
they'll be sent a check in advance.  They receive a certified check for
more than the agreed-upon charge, and then receive an email explaining
that an error was made and to send a check for the excess somewhere--
of course the certified check is a forgery...

So far I don't know of anyone who has fallen for it, but I think that
it's a greater crime to try to take advantage of someone's career  or
bank account vs. claiming to share stolen money if you'll only help
them to steal it.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne:  Clever Comedy for the Smarter Audience (sm)