Re: phishing

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hcadnTLrtLEnC9_eRVn-tg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In computing, phishing (also known as carding and spoofing) is a form of
> social engineering, characterised by attempts to fraudulently acquire
> sensitive information, such as passwords and credit card details, by
> masquerading as a trustworthy person or business in an apparently official
> electronic communication, such as an email or an instant message. The term
> phishing arises from the use of increasingly sophisticated lures to "fish"
> for users' financial information and passwords.
>
> I get tons of phishing e-mails.  Uusally two or three everday on some
> accounts.  When they first started I used to forward them to my regional
> FBI office, but there are so many I just delete them anymore.  I'm sure
> the local FBI agents get plenty of heads up on them.
>
> Today I decided to do something just for fun and visit a couple of those
> fake site links.  They are quite sophisticated.  They even have number
> checking algorithims in place.  I enter several sets of fake data, and
> even a couple universal system test numbers and the phishing sites
> promptly notified me there was something wrong with the number.  LOL..  I
> did not go further to see if they would accept a legitimate card number
> for obvious reasons, but over all I was impressed with the layout.  Its
> sad really that somebody with that much talent doesn't feel they can make
> a good living from legitimate use of their skills.
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
>
> Win a Spinnerbait Tackle Kit
>
> Spinnerbait Tips & Tricks Contest
> Through the Month of September 2005
>
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I've talked to a couple of the commercial crime guys at the VPD (Vancouver
Police Department) and they've told me that 99% of the "phishing" sites
they've investigated are being run by Asian gangs.  If you visit the base
URL of any of the ones I've received they're all Chinese or Malaysian
websites.  Somehow these guys are able to "crack" the webhost ISP's or the
company's main server and "piggy-back" onto them.  That alone is pretty darn
scary.  I don't get that many "phishing" emails.  Mostly from people trying
to spoof "Paypal".  I forward all of them to the webmaster of the base URL
as well as "PhoneBusters".  These days, Outlook 2003 takes care of a lot of
SPAM.  The SPAM blockers employed by Telus and Mecca (two hosting services I
use) are excellent as well.  It's so nice to be able to receive emails these
days that are "filtered" to the point where opening one isn't an offer to
have my breasts enlarged.  :-))