Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> I know your question was addressed to Bob, but I'm going to jump in here
> anyway. I would think, if the client signed a long term contract and THEN at
> his initiative, got rid of his line, he would still be committed. Simply
> because the monitoring is no longer reliable (or possibly even functional)
> because of his getting rid of the land line, and going to VoIP, doesn't
> change his original contractual commitment one iota after the fact...
>
> I often have clients tell me when I refuse to hook them up over VoIP, that
> other companies promise to do so. Of that I have no doubt, but I always
> advise these people to refuse to sign a long term commitment with these
> companies. Why should they commit to any company long term, when the company
> can't reliably commit to them that things will work (and continue to work)
> the way they are supposed to?

Even though you won't see this, your comment still needs a slap on the
hand, again.

I don't know about YOUR contract but if you're "committing" in your
contract that the alarm system will do eveything that it's supposed to
do, you're in for a shock when the time comes when a loss of life or
property occurs when :

The panel was struck by lightning and can't communicate.
The power went out and the battery hadn't been changed.
The chip in the panel went bad.
The client went into programing and screwed it up because
you gave him the dealer code.
The Police don't show up
The fire truck goes to the wrong address.
The central station send the police to the wrong address
The telephone line is out.
The static on the phone line wont let it communicate reliably.
The police showed up but didn't see anything suspicious.
There's an impassable snow storm.
The police or fire truck had an accident on the way.
The central station missed the call, new operator.
Your new employee screwed up the programing on yesterdays
service call.

If you don't have exclusionary clauses to cover events such as
these,I'll bet every one of your clients are VERY happy.