Security Systems Useless During Worst Case Emergency Crisis

>From living in South Florida in or near the eye of three hurricanes,
none of which were rated above a Category 2, let me make this
observation.   I started selling security systems right after the two
hurricanes last year that made landfall within a mile or two of each
other near Sewalls Point.  This year I was selling for Bell South
Security (I call them Hell South for many reasons, but they do have
good equipment, and low prices for those interested).

During the conversations I have had with both my sales and non sale
appointments, and this includes active and retired law enforcement
officers, I have the following very important information to be true in
every locality.  The backup battery lasts for 2 to 3 days at best
during power failures.  I always recommended to my prospects to hook
their systems into their generators, if they have them.  There are an
awfull lot of people that do NOT have generators, and don't plan on
getting one.  So, when the power is out more than 2 days, you have no
security system at a very critical time.  So, who ya gonna call,
Ghostbusters?

The active and retired law enforcement officers I spoke with have
informed me that a residential, or small business security system alam
call from a monitoring center, has one of the lowest priorities during
ANY type of critical local, state, or national emergency.  That means
your security system won't do much more than wake you and a neighbor
up, MAYBE.....but not with a dead battery!

One of many reasons this is very important is because of the high crime
rate during and after a storm.  The thugs are on the streets exploiting
the situation, knowing the police can only handle so much.  There are
alcoholics, drug addicts, and other bottom feeders out there (when they
are here trying to shoot me down) desperately trying to find a fix, rob
someone for cash, or rummaging for a drink of alcohol.  Remember, all
the stores in the area won't have electricty for days, weeks, or
months.  That means their usual source for their "mind altering
substances", and the pipeline isn't operating normally.  Desperate
people do desperate things.  The police simply can't be everywhere at
once.  In New Orleans, the gangs basically tried to take over the city.
 They suceeded for a short time.  If they were near you, and wanted
what you had, they would just take it.

My recommendation is to prepare for that day when you will have to
defend yourself and your family.  Your security system will give you a
false sense of security in many cases.

During 911, do you think law enforcement was responding to ANY burglary
alarms?   I doubt it.  If we had a major attack of any significance,
don't count on your alarm system to defend you.

The bottom line is that when you need a security system to helpyou the
most, unfortunately, you probably won't find it very effective.  I
recommend you find alternative ways to safeguard your families and
yourself.