Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

> > They can lien your house...
>
> On a renewal clause for alarm monitoring?

That was just a portion of the thread I posted to.

> I don't know about other
> states but in Connecticut where I worked for over 20 years they can't
> do that and in Florida where you and I both work they cannot do so
> either.

are they going to do to me if I don't let them in" and then read the Florida
lien laws about things that are made real property and want type of lien can
be put on when there is leased property involved, than think about what can
be done and not what is the norm and then get back with me.

> >  It amazes me when people who call say they aren't under a contract. 99%
of the
> time they are under a contract.
>
> It works both ways.  Very often when people call certain alarm
> companies to tell them they don't want monitoring they are told that
> the equipment is leased

 Prove it with documentation and if it is, than come get it

(even when it is not) and that they are under a
> multi-year contract (even when they are not).

Prove it with documentation, easy to prove or not

  The game is to
> intimidate the customer into staying with the monitoring even if they
> don't want or need the service.

If they have an agreement and the company can produce it then it is what it
is, period. If the company cannot prove they have an agreement, where is the
intimidation factor. The company doesn't have a leg to stand on. If the
customer does in fact have an agreement but doesn't want or need the
service, buy out of it. That is normal business.

> Not all or even most alarm companies do this sort of thing but enough
> of them do that customers should insist on seeing the contract when
> told they can't quit the service.

The customer should have a copy of the contract anyways. It is more of a
case where they have one but didn't read it and would rather think that they
don't have one. I always ask people, when I get questioned about this, "Have
you asked your attorney about this?" The answer is always "no". I tell them
that I am not an attorney, I explain the language in their agreement and
then tell them again that before they proceed, seek the advice of their
attorney. These agreements have been written by attorneys, defended by
attorneys, must be effect for insurance purposes, hold up in collection
cases, etc. and have been tested time and time again. But on the other hand,
if they didn't sign anything they are not obligated, UNLESS, their old
company sold their agreement to a new company and the old contract, which
they did sign, has an assignability clause in it. Than the customer is
obligated to the new company under the old contract.

>This is especially true if you've
> just bought / rented a new home or apartment.  If the alarm company
> tells you that you are obligated to pay a monthly fee but you didn't
> sign a contract with them, they're most likely lying.

Or, most likely, where working under the information they ask for, such as
an address, and meanwhile, the old owner did not cancel the service prior to
moving. Or, there may be a bulk deal signed with the homeowners association
or apartment management company, but either would have great savings to the
customer. Why was there contact made to the alarm company anyway unless they
were inquiring about service? I believe once the conversation gets to the
fact that the resident is a new homeowner and there are no special
circumstances, things change to more of a sales pitch. However, on the flip
side, I have had people call with the story that they are the **new**
homeowner, which I have found to be a fraudulent statement. They try and
pull this to get out of their contract. They are to stupid to think I can't
find out that they do if fact still live there. Caller ID says they are
calling from the same phone number or cell number that has always been
listed on the account. Tax records show the house has not been sold. People
will try anything.