Help - Ademco Vista10 and Compass downloader

Anyone here familiar with this setup?? I have a Vista10SE rev15 and I can't
get Compass 1.5.8.0 to connect to it.  I am using a Hayes Smartmodem 1200,
but when I try to connect direct to the panel using the "telco" option,
communications start, verify CSID seems to work,  but when the checking
panel status, it hangs and tells me there has been no commucnications for
30seconds.  I could just use my two-line alpha display to program it but I'm
too damn stubborn!!

Any thoughts?

-Will