Re: ARE YOU REALLY BEING MONITORED? READ THIS

On 17 Nov 2005 16:11:12 -0800, "Sonicduck" <jones1019@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>This activity cannot be done all the time.  Realistically, it can only
>be done efficiently once a month.  First, the companies performing this
>"service" have to pay for all the long distance phone charges, the
>postage for letters notifying those failing, that their system needs
>service, and the humans performing these tasks, usually get paid by the
>hour.  I knew the receptionist in our branch (ADT) was charged with
>this task.  She used to tell me it was an impossible task.

This is quite possibly the worst post I've ever read in the 7 years
I've been following this newsgroup.  This is entirely incorrect and
looks to be made up by someone with little or no knowledge of how
alarm monitoring companies operate.

First of all, ADT does not have humans dialing into alarm control
panels to check their status.  The systems perform a timer test by
dialing the central station.  If the central station does not receive
this timer test, a service ticket is automatically created to resolve
the issue.  No humans involved.  Fire code requires commercial fire
systems send a timer test once per 24 hour period.  So, everyone of
ADT's thousands of fire alarm systems sends a test signal every day to
ensure the system is being monitored.  Other systems can be prgrammed
to do the same, or the timer test can be done more infrequently, like
once a month.  All other reputable companies operate the same way.

Other systems use a constantly supervised line to ensure communication
with the central station is not interrupted.  This is commonly done
three different ways: leased lines, supervised long range radio, and
internet-based monitoring.

Of course, a simple cellular backup combined with regular testing of
you system will make sure it works when you need it regardless of
phone line problems.